Oha leaf botanically known as ‘‘Pterocarpus mildraedii’’ belonged to the Africa Rosewood family that popularly grown in the Eastern part of Nigeria and in other African countries.
Scholarships have shown that Oha leaf is medicinal, it retains its greenish leaves throughout the year.
It contains many nutrients such as iron calcium, amino acids, iron, potassium, fibre, vitamin A and C, etc.
According Akpanyung, E.O., Udoh, A.P. & Akpan, E.J., 1995, the nutritious value of Pterocarpus mildraedii contains per 100g edible portion: water 85 g, energy 237 kJ (57 kcal), protein 3.8 g, fat 0.8 g, carbohydrate 8.2 g, crude fibre 1.13 g, Ca 72 mg, Mg 28 mg, Fe 4.7 mg and Zn 3.1mg.
Well prepared ora soup makes digestion easy. The dietary fiber found in it helps to improve the digestive function, explore and absorb the nutrient well.
It regulates the blood glucose levels. It will prevent the accumulation of calorie in the blood that can increase the blood glucose level. Below are the ingredients you will be needing
- Beef/ Chicken/lamb/turkey or your preferred protein,
- Tomato's and pepper
- Groundnut oil
- Oha leaves (cut using a knife or shredding with your fingers)
1. Put meat, kponmo in a pot, add seasoning,salt and onions, let simmer for 5 minutes, then put a little water, cook till meat is tender.
2. blend your tomato's,pepper/onions and steam for 3 minutes
3. Put your pot on cooking gas add groundnut oil,your chopped onions,ground crayfish, blended tomato's and pepper, and cook for seven minutes.
4. Add seasoning,salt smoked fish and waterstock.Cook for another three minutes
5. Add your Oha leaves.
6. Let it cook for one minute, then turn off the cooker
7. Your delicious Oha stew is ready.
8. Serve with your boiled Rice